Saturday, March 6, 2010

Our 2010 Homeschool Year Plans


Since day one of our homeschooling journey, I have always started planning and buying our school year curriculum in February. It's the time of year that we have the most money all at one time. We then usually start that school year in April or May and school year round. This year I'm trying some new things and everything I've ordered (one of the biggest orders I've ever had) has come in right on time. So this coming Monday, March 8th, will be our official start to 2010.

One of the new things planned for this year is a small summer vacation. Last year we took one week off in March and then a day here-n-there throughout the year, plus holiday weeks. I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 weeks off, soaking up the sun, taking a trip to Ohio and doing a long weekend at the beach. Ahhh, sounds so relaxing already.

Another new thing is the choice of curriculum that I'm using this year. I'm eclectic again, but I'm adding a ton of notebooking and living books, with a twist of charlotte mason and lapbooking.  Here's my complete list of curriculum choices and daily schedule.

SubjectsMon Tues Wed Thurs Fri 
Math:
Teaching Textbook 3RRRRR
History:
Early American HistoryRRRRR
Science:
Apologia AstronomyRR
Spelling:
Spelling Wisdom RRRRR
Vocabulary:
Wordly Wise 3000 Bk 3RRRRR
Penmanship: 
Handwriting Without Tears RRRRR
Grammar: 
Learning Language Arts Through LiteratureRRRRR
Bible: 
Rod & Staff Bk 2 RR


In addition to the above table we are reading extra "living books" as we find time. I'm in the process of posting our American History curriculum on squidoo by topic. I also plan on blogging weekly on what we do daily. The Math curriculum isn't available for purchase until April, so we won't have that resource right away. It's such a good program that I don't mind waiting for it to come out. I'm nervous and yet so excited about this year. I've been homeschooling for 14 years and yet I have quivering butterflies like it's the first year all over again.
eChildblessedf