Sunday, March 28, 2010

Reedy River Falls Park ~ Field Trip

The day dawned bright and beautiful. God had indeed answered our prayers for good weather and warm temps. As you will be able to see from the pictures, not a cloud was in sight all day. It wasn't t-shirt warm but it was perfect for the amount of walking we decided to do. The only hiccup to our outting was my sudden panic attack. Normally I'm not scared of heights, normally I'm not scared of bridges but as I learned the hard way a suspension bridge isn't like other bridges. I had only been on the bridge for a few seconds when I began to feel the first sway under my feet. I wasn't too distrubed as my husband was distracting me, I was taking pictures and I could still see land under my feet. Everything really began to change when I was half-way across the bridge. A huge wind gust gave the bridge a huge push and then the sway came. I almost lost my cookies right there. I just panicked at that point. I had to get off the bridge. My hubby took the camera from me and I began moving toward the opposite side. On my way I snatched up Cyrena and just kept moving. I didn't stop to think about how to get back across the bridge, or that we had parked way down below the bridge. Naw, my only thought was to get off as quickly as possible. My mom often tells me that fear is irrational and I understand that to a point, but boy did I feel humiliated. I didn't want to ruin anyones fun so I plastered a smile on my way too pale face and kept exploring the park. My hubby solved the problem of how to get back to the van, we just had to cross a much smaller steel bridge (no swaying) to get back across the river. Eventually, I did start to have fun again and the best part was when Jake compared the suspension bridge to the Inca bridge made out of grass in the video he watched. Love it when I know something has "sunk in". The pictures tell the rest of the story. Enjoy, we sure did!!!
Almost forgot, the cast of characters are:
My hubby Douglas
My 18 yr old daughter Samantha
My 8 yr old son Jacob
My 22 mth old daughter Cyrena
Me