Friday, March 19, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up

     The word for the week has to be: frustrating. Everyday I've allowed myself to become frustrated over something. Yesterday, I found alot of people posting about spring cleaning and how good their houses are looking. I felt that tug, started looking around and decided I seriously needed to declutter and get organized. It didn't dawn on me until about 30 min. ago, after pulling every item out of my pantry and putting them all over the counter tops, that this might not be the best weekend for a decluttering marathon. My DH is on call for work this weekend and that means all family life ceases. Getting to the store for supplies or dropping of items at a local charity is going to be tough. But this is the end and I need to go back too the beginning....
Let's see....

     Monday started off a little rocky. I overslept and as most of you mom's know, oversleeping always leads to everything running behind for the day. I couldn't even start thinking about school until 1:00 p.m.. For some reason my kids don't think to get breakfast unless Mom's awake. It's not that I fix it for them (Cyrena is the exception), it's just that they hid out in their rooms until they hear me moving. They all do this. They think if I'm not awake they can get by with watching t.v., playing video games, playing on the computer or just sleeping in. It's like they have no responsibilities until I tell them they do. I'm not talking about young kids either, mine are 19, 18 and 8.
     My 19 DS played this game of hidding out and was almost late for work. When I got up and told him to empty the dishwasher, he told me he couldn't because he wasn't ready for work yet. This was 10 min. before he had to leave! I asked him what he had done all morning and he said (with a huge sheepish grin), "Playing video games." Can you say "frustrating". He's definitely my most challenging child. Constantly pushing the limits and me. :)
  On a more positive note; my DH and DD read JJ's American History books to him over the weekend, so we were completely caught up on Monday. Thank you sweeties!

     Tuesday & Wednesday went smoothly for the most part. My DD read my DS's American History books everyday to him. We got behind on his worksheets and projects but I figure we can always do these in bulk if we have to. The frustrating part is that since I'm not reading to him it's hard to engage and talk about it with him. Believe it or not I don't know everything (gasp) and ancient Aztecs (this weeks topic) is not something I can just pull out of brain cells and have an engaging discussion about. So I really should have taken the time this week to read his books and that way we could atleast have some good discussions.

     Thursday was frustrating because my DD had to work during the day (rare thing) and I didn't have anyone to read to JJ. My DS was supposed to come home by 3 and read but he never showed, in fact I didn't even see him until 11 p.m. that night. I did have some good moments on this day. JJ and I did a ton of the American History projects and found that he really enjoyed the coloring sheets that I printed off for him. Now, this is a child that used to cry anytime I set the crayons on the table. The only difference this time is that I told him we needed pretty covers for the different sections in our notebook and it would be nice if he would color the pictures of the Inca and Aztecs (Mayans next week). He did a wonderful job and no tears!

     Today, Friday, is a bit frustrating because I now have a ton of pantry items all over my kitchen counters. I simply ran out of time to put them all back. I'm going to look at this as a blessing, it's a mess already so I'll just take my time, buy the right type of containers and such and organize it my way. I know if I wait too long my DH (thinking he's doing me a favor) will try to put everything away, without washing the shelves or organizing where to put everything. Essentially, putting everything back just the way it was. LOL

    I've got to try to correct my mindset and not get so discouraged about the "little" things. I'm going to go read other peoples "WEEKLY WRAP UP'S"  and maybe grap a laugh or two. See ya next week!!!

eChildblessedf

PS check out my squidoo lens' for our American History topics