Friday, March 26, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up


Home ~ I think one of my kiddo's must have read my weekly wrap-up post last week, as they all acted completely opposite this week. I had to have a tooth pulled on Tuesday (only to find out later it was a healthy tooth), so I had trouble reading but both of my older kids read for me without me asking them to. Not only did they help with JJ's schooling they also pitched in for our spring cleaning! On Thursday DS cleaned out from under my sink and today DD organized and put everything back. I just love it when they do these things. Makes me feel so guilty about ever feeling frustrated with them, almost. :)
We are going on a field trip tomorrow to Reedy River Suspension Bridge. It ties in with our Inca, Aztec & Mayan study. I only wish there was a bridge around that was made out of grass.


School ~
  • Monday - Struggled to get JJ motivated but after lunch he kicked in his brain, lol. I was able to read again!!! We had some good discussions comparing the Aztec, Inca and Mayan religion. This seems to fascinate JJ. He's the one who initiated the topic and I just let him talk. I love the book Incas Aztecs & Mayans by John Holzmann. It has alot of "Adult Notes" that has great facts and information that I wasn't aware of or had forgotten about. I would recommend this book to everyone. I'm going to look for more books written by Mr. Holzmann, maybe he has some more history books out there. JJ's favorite books for this topic are the You Wouldn't Want To Be: Incan Mummy, Aztec Sacrifice, and Mayan Soothsayer. These were a bit pricey but he pours over every detail on the pages. I think they were worth every penny and I'm glad I ordered one for just about every topic we have this year. He always asks to read these first. Here's a couple pics of JJ working on the Aztecs. We also completed all of his language arts.


  • Tuesday - Didn't go so well. I got all of the American History reading done in the morning but then I had to go to another dentist appointment. The reading was going much better now that I could reading again. JJ even volunteered to read some of it. We never made it to his language arts studies. So it was a so-so day.
  • Wednesday - Non school day. My mouth was too sore to read so he got the day off. He was completely bored by 3 p.m. Next time I've got to plan some activities for those times I won't be able to do school.
  • Thursday - Everything went really well today. We did all of the Topic 1 reading and had some great discussions on the Mayan marriage traditions. He learned what the Mayan's do after a baby is born. He thought that it was pretty horrific. This info wasn't even in his "You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer" book, instead the gory details were in the Incans, Aztecs, Mayans by John Holtzman.
  • Friday - It's been a wonderful day. We got caught up on all of his American History reading and finished all of the scheduled books. I didn't get all the projects done as of yet but I'm confident that we can still get to them.
I've decided to add in some additional books to our Topic 1 & Topic 2 studies. I'm such a shameful book junkie. Does anyone know of a book junkie addict support group? LOL

Don't forget to go read how everyone else faired this week at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

eChildblessedf