Tuesday, October 27, 2009

God's Plan

We are late getting started with school this year. We tried out K12 and what a disaster that was. We are still trying to send everything back. I feel that they lied to me or at the very least mislead me. I had a ton of questions before I started and the answers given to me were that it was very much like homeschooling only easier because the lesson plans were already written. They also told me that Jake could work at his own pace and basically set his own hours and what he accomplished each week. They said whatever he didn't get done today was fine that the online planner would just advance it for me automatically. How wonderful do that sound! Now for what they didn't tell me: if he didn't have 30 hrs each week we would get a demerit, if he didn't get a certain amount of lessons done each month we got a demerit, he had to meet an online teacher each week at her convenience and time to do evaluations, if he didn't do as good as she thought then he had to meet her two more times that week (1 hr ea.), I had to submit a monthly form that contained extra time away from the computer, things I had to come up with and keep track of (swimming, tennis, basketball, etc) and the very last straw was that if he already knew the material I was told we could just skip ahead, but come to find out every lesson had a written or online evaluation in addition to the lesson/worksheet and if this wasn't completed was another reason for a demerit. So, let's just say, if I had continued I would have had 10 demerits the first month and been kicked out anyway. Jake has speech therapy Mon. morning and that happened to be when this teacher (who gets paid for all the work I do) wanted to hold her classes with Jake. When I told her about the scheduling conflict, she informed me that this was a public school and not homeschooling and how she wished people would get that straight before they signed up. She then started talking about what I needed to do to quit doing the K12 program, no help with rescheduling or addressing any of my concerns at all. I was relieved that I didn't have more of a confrontation with her. God sure does knock down doors when your following HIS will. So now we are running a bit behind with getting this started but God has rejuvenated me and now I know I'm on the right path - GOD'S path. I think as my general rule of thumb from now on will be - if it's going too rough or seems to be too overwhelming, then I need to examine whether it's God's path or my own. This sure has shown me how good it can be to just let God handle everything. How wonderful it feels to know HE is in charge. How humble it feels to know he even comforts and protects me when I have failed to follow His path. HIS way is perfect, so why do I need to constantly re-learn this?