Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Book Review ~ Secret of the Andes

Topic 1 ~ Inca, Aztecs & Mayans

Secret of the Andes by Ann Nolan Clark

I really enjoyed reading this book. It received alot of mixed reviews in our home. For me it was beautifully written and it filled with exquisite imagery that made you "see" what Cusi's world was like. Samantha (18) thought it was dry and boring. She said it dragged on and on and on. Doug (DH) thought it to be dry and filled with adult vocabulary. Now, Jacob's review threw me for a loop. I thought for sure that he would also find it dry and painful to read but in fact, he gave it a 5. I was so shocked and thought I needed to explain what a 5 rating meant (again). (a five meant that other children would really enjoy it and it shouldn't be missed by the parents) He said "Yep, I know that. I still give it a five because it was so emotional and I really felt for Cusi. Other kids are going to want to also read about him trying to find his family. This was a good book, Mom. So, it needs a five."  Well, there ya have it, this from an 8 year old boy. I guess I'm really shocked because all the kids reviews on amazon are highly against it. Some even say it was torture to read this book. Maybe the difference is in the twaddle that other kids have been exposed to before picking this book up, my DD included. Jake has mostly been exposed to living books most of his life. I won't be afraid to offer a good book to Jake again, ya just never know.
Ratings:
5 ~ Mom
5 ~ Jake
eChildblessedf